Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)
What is Blepharoplasty?
The Eyelid Surgery Procedure
Upper Eyelid Surgery
Lower Eyelid Surgery
PS Snippets: Eyelid Surgery
Surgery Can Treat
- VLoose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision
- VFatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the eyelids
- VBags beneath the eyes
- VExcess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
- VEnhanced Appearance: Eyelid surgery can rejuvenate the appearance of the eyes by reducing sagging skin, puffiness, and wrinkles around the eyelids, making the eyes look more youthful and refreshed.
- VImproved Vision: In cases where excess upper eyelid skin obstructs the field of vision, eyelid surgery can help improve peripheral vision and overall visual acuity.
- VBoosted Self-Confidence: Many individuals feel self-conscious about droopy or baggy eyelids, and eyelid surgery can boost self-confidence and improve self-esteem by providing a more alert and rested appearance.
- VLong-lasting Results: The effects of eyelid surgery are typically long-lasting, providing patients with an enduring improvement in the appearance of their eyes.
- VCustomizable Procedure: Eyelid surgery is a highly customizable procedure that can be tailored to address specific concerns, such as excess skin, fat, or muscle laxity, depending on the individual's needs.
- VMinimal Scarring: The incisions made during eyelid surgery are strategically placed within the natural creases of the eyelids, helping to minimize visible scarring.
- VShort Recovery Period: Recovery from eyelid surgery is generally quick, with most patients able to return to normal activities within a week or two.
- VComplementary to Other Procedures: Eyelid surgery can be combined with other facial rejuvenation procedures, such as facelifts or brow lifts, to achieve a more comprehensive facial enhancement.
- VFunctional Improvement: Apart from cosmetic benefits, eyelid surgery can also address functional issues like ptosis (drooping eyelids) that may interfere with proper vision.
- VLow Complication Rate: In the hands of a skilled and experienced surgeon, eyelid surgery has a low risk of complications, making it a safe and effective option for suitable candidates.
Who Is a Good Candidate For Eyelid Surgery?
Good candidates for eyelid surgery in Manhattan include:
- VHealthy individuals with no medical conditions that can impair healing
- VIndividuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals
- VIndividuals without serious eye conditions
The appearance of a drooping upper lid may also be due to relaxation of the forehead skin and eyebrows. Sometimes stretching out of the upper eyelid muscle may cause a drooping eyelid. This is called eyelid ptosis and requires a different surgical treatment. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate your facial anatomy thoroughly and discuss what procedures might best remedy your concerns.
Combining Eyelid Surgery With Other Procedures
- VFacelift: A facelift can lift the area of the mid-face by removing excess skin. This can leave patients looking more youthful and refreshed.
- VNeck lift: The neck can also show common signs of aging, including sagging skin. A neck lift can help eliminate this, leaving you looking more contoured.
Recovery from Eyelid Surgery
The recovery period from blepharoplasty in Manhattan is one to two weeks. Patients experience tightness, discomfort, or soreness around the eyes after surgery. It is also common to experience swelling and bruising around the eyes. These side effects will resolve within a few weeks of surgery. Most patients can return to work or other social activities after one to two weeks.